What is SUP camping? It is pretty cut and dry. Strap that camping gear to a stand up paddle board, find the perfect body of water, and paddle away. The dynamic part of SUP camping trip is the ability to make it a one-night camping trip, a weekend getaway, or an adventure to last a lifetime.
No one questions whether a beach vacation is beautiful; everyone knows it is. A day paddle boarding is at the top of an adventurers list, too. Then there is hiking, which takes people into the most exciting of landscapes. The combination of them all is the mere basics of SUP camping.
Starting small is best for beginner SUP campers. A two-day trip to a slow-moving river, a lake, a sheltered bay, or estuary is both fun, and a dry-run for a larger scale goal. Beginning under five miles a day keeps enjoyment high and the chance of emergency low. Be aware of the wind, water flow, and tides.Once you master an overnight you will be able to take on a longer SUP camping trip if that is what your desire is.
The ability to adventure on the water is the added ingredient that creates the next level excursion. Lake, river, or an ocean, it does not matter, a vacation on the water is a can't-miss.
SUP Camping Preparation
Stand-up paddle boarding is one thing; SUP camping is another. Testing minimalist skills is another aspect of the quest to take on water while enjoying the outdoors. Loading up the deck of a paddle board into an ultra-light camping pack is an adventure all on its own.
Like any vacation or epic adventure, SUP camping requires a plan. Taking into account a persons experience level, the type of board used, the location, duration of the trip, the distance and weather are the first steps to consider.
- The lack of experience in paddle boarding is no reason not to go. It only means to take it slow.
- Types of boards include Epoxy SUPs, Inflatable SUPs, HDPE SUPs, etc. Knowing the pros and cons of each allows for the customization of a trip.
- Rivers, lakes, and oceans offer a water-bound experience. Each offers their own special memory and a spectacular view.
- Knowing how long a hike is to the water edge and how long it will be on the water paddling helps gauge that no one over or under plans the distance.
- The weather is not altogether predictable, but temperature, rain chances and other factors are best known ahead of time to the extent this is possible.
Things to keep in mind for the first SUP camping trip:
- Start simple
- Stay near the shore
- Bring a buddy who is up for an adventure
- Always tell at least one person the game-plan
- Check the weight of the complete SUP camping equipment before heading out is the best plan of action
- Most of all, do not forget to have fun
SUP Safety Tips
Safety is essential for any vacation. SUP camping is no different and has a few potentials for a surprise.
- The United States Coastguard considers SUP’s a watercraft. This means a life jacket is a requirement, it is for the good of the adventurer, anyway, so following regulations is easy.
- The word leash seems a little constraining, but not in the case of SUP. They are useful for the safety of the paddle boarder and the board.
- Carrying a whistle is a good plan, whether SUP camping or hiking. Never know when weather sneaks up, or an accident happens that requires evacuation or injury.
- A “ditch bag” is a must-have. If a board needs to be left behind, grabbing the essentials and hitting the trail needs to be easy.
SUP Camping & Safety Packing List
- Various Size Dry Bags
- Cooler - a pull behind cooler is the best way to keep food cold and not take up space
- Flares and Matches in Dry Bags
- Sleeping Bag
- Imperishable Food
- Water, Water Filter, or Tablets
- Hammock or Tent
- Quick-Dry Clothes
- Garbage Bags
- Hand-Held Radio
- Solar Charger
- Small Heat Source and Fuel
- Head Covering
- Life Jacket or Personal Flotation Device
- Standing Paddle Board Repair Kit
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Paddle
- Waterproof Map
- 50-feet of Nylon Rope
Dunn-Rite Pool Products and Inflatable Paddle Boards
3rd Generation Family Owned Company with a long history of developing innovative products of the highest quality.