There are many ways to take advantage of the water and the summer sun. One of the most popular activities is called stand-up paddleboarding (SUP). For those who might not be aware, there is even a form of SUP that adds yoga into the mix. This demonstrates that SUP can take many different forms, making it popular with so many people. With so many fun derivatives of SUP, it is important for everyone to understand what SUP is, the health benefits that come with SUP, and even the basics of SUP yoga.
What is Stand-Up Paddleboarding?
Stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) is a sport that involves a board and a large paddle. In SUP, the rider will get on top of the board and either while laying or kneeling start to paddle the board with their hands. Once they gather enough speed, the rider will typically stand up, try to remain balanced, and use the paddle to move themselves and the board through the water. Those who are interested in SUP can enjoy this sport in the ocean, on a lake, or anywhere there is a large body of water. Furthermore, there are even aquatic centers that offer people the opportunity to rent equipment to try SUP for the first time. Some locations will even offer lessons.
What are the Health Benefits of Stand-Up Paddleboarding?
For those who are looking for a way to enjoy the water, stay in shape, and enjoy the summer sun, SUP is the answer. There are numerous health benefits that come with SUP which include:
- SUP will help someone improve their balance as they try to stay upright on a moving board
- In order to remain balanced, people must exercise all of the muscles in their body, contributing to a full body workout
- With such a demanding workout, those who are looking to stay in shape and lose weight will be able to do so through SUP
- SUP is a demanding form of exercise which will help people lower their stress levels SUP is also a great way to improve cardiac endurance
Clearly, there are numerous health benefits that come with enjoying SUP. One of the ways that people can enjoy stand-up paddleboarding is by adding yoga into the mix.
An Overview of SUP Yoga for Beginners: Sample Poses
For those who would like to add in a new twist to their SUP workout, yoga is a great addition. Even as a beginner to SUP, yoga is an option. Why not try to learn two new activities at once? There are a handful of great poses that even beginners with SUP can enjoy. Some of these include:
- Downward facing dog where people spread their hands and feet apart on the board which will help people find their balance on the board
- The chair pose raises the arms and bends the legs, helping people improve their leg and core strength while also improving balance
- The crescent lunge will help people open up their hips and core
- The warrior poses are challenging to perform on a paddleboard and will really test someone's balance
- Anyone who is really looking to build their core strength should give the boat pose a shot as well
These are only a few of the many different poses that people can try in SUP yoga. Some of the larger aquatic centers even offer SUP yoga classes where everyone can learn together. This is a great way to watch how other people perform SUP yoga, learning from their poses and gathering a slew of tips along the way.
Stand-Up Paddle boarding Starts with a Paddle board
Anyone who is interested in trying SUP yoga needs to find a paddle board that will meet their needs. One of the options is this white and blue inflatable SUP. It is lightweight and easy to use. It also comes with a durable paddle made out of carbon fiber and a pump that will help expedite the inflation process. The board has been made with rigid and durable PVC that will ensure that it stands up against routine wear and tear. Once the paddle board is inflated, it will feel firm and can handle SUP yoga!
Dunn-Rite Pool Products and Inflatable Paddle Boards
3rd Generation Family Owned Company with a long history of developing innovative products of the highest quality.