For those who are looking for a new sport to try on the water, one of the most popular choices is stand-up paddleboarding. For those who haven't tried it yet, paddleboarding is a fun activity that everyone can partake in on oceans, rivers, lakes, and bays. This will provide everyone with a great core body workout and will allow everyone to experience everything that the great outdoors has to offer. Furthermore, this is a sport that people can try at all ages. It is great for all body types and skill levels. Some people even like to bring a child or pet along with them!
Of course, for those who want to get started in this sport, they need to know how to stand up on a stand-up paddleboard. While there are plenty of great stand-up paddleboard options including a new blue and white stand-up paddleboard, everyone has to know how to stand up. There are a few steps that everyone should follow.
Choosing the Right Stand-Up Paddleboard
One of the first skills that everyone has to master is standing up on a stand-up paddleboard. This starts with choosing the right one. For those who are doing this for the first time, the biggest tip involves choosing the right stand-up paddleboard.
It is a good idea to start with a 30-inch board that is about 11 feet long. This will provide a nice long, wide surface that is going to stay in place as people try to stand up. The board should feel comfortable and stable. If it won’t stay in place, then go for a wider stand-up paddleboard. Inflatable stand up paddleboards tend to be wider and longer which make them a great SUP for beginners and enthusiasts alike.
The Process of Standing Up On a SUP
When it comes time to stand up on the stand-up paddleboard, start in calm, flat water. This should be done close to shore. This is where the water is going to be calm unless there are rolling waves in the ocean.
- Once there is a nice, calm, flat area, it is time to try to stand up. The steps to follow include:
- Move the board out into the water. While it is a good idea to start close to shore, make sure the fin is not going to hit the bottom.
- Then, get into a kneeling position on the stand-up paddleboard. While on hands and knees, take a few strokes on each side of the board to make sure that that it is free to move in the water.
- Next, slowly stand up on the stand-up paddleboard. Use one fit at a time. Make every effort to remain in the middle of the board. Try to keep the knees and feet parallel to the stringer. They should be should-width apart.
- Keep the core centered over the board. Maintain a slight knee bend. Keep standing up until you reach the ideal pose and you are able to stand up straight.
For those who are doing this the first time, it is easy to fall off. Falling off of a stand-up paddleboard is nothing to be ashamed of. Simply hop back up on the board and try again. For those who get cold easily, it is a good idea to wear a thin wetsuit.
The Most Important Tip for Standing Up
Anyone who is going this for the first time needs to make sure they find the right stand-up paddleboard. It is tempting to try a smaller stand-up paddleboard because they look less intimidating; however, this is the wrong move. If the stand-up paddleboard is too small, a beginner is never going to be able to stand up. Then, they will get disheartened and quit. A larger stand-up paddleboard is better for beginners. This is where professionals can help.
These are a few of the most important tips that people need to follow when it comes to standing up on a stand-up paddleboard. It is important to make sure you find the right stand-up paddleboard for your needs. At Dunn-Rite Products, we have the latest line of stand-up paddleboards! Take a look at everything we have to offer! We will help you find the right stand-up paddleboard for your needs!
Dunn-Rite Pool Products and Inflatable Paddle Boards
3rd Generation Family Owned Company with a long history of developing innovative products of the highest quality.